inspection services, including welding
inspection and welder certification.
Construction Materials Testing and Inspection
Since 1983, Alpha has performed a complete spectrum of construction materials testing (CMT) and inspection services. Construction materials engineering (CME), including mix design, is another service. Close coordination with the geotechnical engineering department provides rapid response to field constructability questions. Staff is experienced with pile load tests and other field assessment procedures.
On any given project, Alpha can, as example, perform CMT services including, but not limited to, testing and observation of: soil moisture and soil densities during fill placement and other earthwork; concrete testing - drilled pier inspection, concrete strength and reinforcing steel placement; masonry - prism tests, grout, mortar, reinforcing and placement monitoring; pre- and post-tension placement and inspection; structural steel - joist erection and inspection, metal decking, paving - concrete, base and soil stabilization; moisture verification drilling; fireproofing; floor flatness; and roofing.
Alpha provides all services listed below with in-house personnel.
Structural Steel - CWI, CAWI, and NDT
- Shop Fabrication Inspections
- Shop and Shop Audit Inspections - national and international
- Welding procedures and Welder performance qualifications
- Steel Erection observation and testing
- Structural Steel Inspections
- Bolt tension testing
- Welding Inspections - NDT, NDE , Visual
- Dye penetrant, ultrasonic, magnetic particles, radiography (X-Ray)
- Pipe Thickness Testing
- Paint Thickness
ICBO/UBC Special Inspections
- Roofing Inspections
- Spray Applied Fire Proofing Special Inspections
- Structural Masonry Special Inspections
Quality Control (QC) / Construction Inspection Services
- Rail and highway construction
- Contractor QA services
- Soils classification
- Moisture - density relationships / standard & modified proctors
- Placement observation
- In place density testing
- Sub-grade stabilization (lime, cement, fly ash) observation and testing
- Water and Chemical injection observation
- Moisture Content confirmation drilling - injection projects
Foundation Observation/Pier Inspections
- Deep foundations (drilled piers / auger cast piles and driven piles)
- Drilling Inspection / Forming Inspection
- Reinforcing steel placement
- Concrete placement
- Post-Tension Cable Inspection
- Mix design & trial batches
- Batch plant and placement evaluations
- Compliance testing of aggregates, including gradations, fineness modulus, absorption, specific gravity and unit weight
- Cylinder & beam molding and testing
- Maturity meter evaluations
- Floor flatness testing (FF / FL)
- R-Meter & Ferroscan
- Windsor probe evaluations
- Diamond bit concrete coring for compression strength and /or petrographic analysis
- Mortar & grout mix design
- Block prism testing
- Mortar & grout testing
Roofing Evaluations and Testing
- Roof installation and monitoring
- Laboratory roof cut analysis
- Moisture surveys, infrared and nuclear
Special Laboratory Testing
- Sieve analysis (dry or wet method)
- Specific gravity of aggregates
- Organic matter
- Percent finer than 200 mesh
- Moisture content
- Bulk unit weight
- Los Angeles abrasion
- Sodium sulphate soundness test
- Mix designs
- Batch plant calibration
- Field observation and testing
- Density determination in place and core density
- Extraction to determine asphalt percentage and gradation of materials
TxDOT: Alpha is TxDOT Pre-Certified in 12.00 and 14.00 categories, and can assist with QA and QC testing programs.
12.1.1 Asphaltic Concrete
12.1.2 Portland Cement Concrete
12.2.1 Plant Inspection and Testing
US Army Corps of Engineers: Alpha holds Laboratory Validation for Aggregate Tests, Concrete Tests, and Soils Tests.
ASTM E-329: Alpha complies with the requirements of ASTM E-329, governing the operation and accreditation requirements.
ACIL: Alpha exceeds the recommended requirements for independent laboratory qualifications as published by the American Council of Independent Laboratories.
AASHTO: Alpha Testing's main office laboratory is accredited by the AASHTO Accreditation Program (AAP) and participates in the assessment and proficiency testing programs of the Cement & Concrete Reference Laboratory (CCRL) and AASHTO Materials Reference Laboratory (AMRL)."
Alpha employs engineering technicians holding ACI and NICET training and appropriate credentials.
A2LA: The Houston office of Alpha Testing holds A2LA Accreditation for Construction Materials Engineering. Click here for the specific scope of accreditation.
Local contacts are found in Contact Us